Digital trends usually relate to how a company sells to and otherwise interacts with its customers or clients. But a huge part of any company includes those who provide the services to the clientele: the workers.
More and more, employees are wanting to work from home – or at least not be tied to the office every day. Using remote employment technology, businesses can have employees or contractors working from almost anywhere in the world.
Of course, not every type of company can provide services remotely, but there are usually several positions that can lend themselves to this type of work. Customer service, sales, marketing, content writing, graphic designing, training, and teaching are a few examples.
How can twenty-first century technology promote working offsite?
- Internet services – Clearly, having a remote workforce requires that workers have access to reliable and fast Internet service providers. And the company’s Internet should be reliable as well. Corporations can provide stipends, equipment, or a combination of the two for at-home and even on-the-road Internet capabilities.
- Remote access/VPN – Many tasks require that an employee be able to interact with and access corporate data and other resources. Whether help pages for effective customer service, or important files for incorporating into content, it’s imperative that there be a safe, secure way to get into the company’s system.
- Email access – Rather than have at-home workers use personal email accounts, where important company messages can get lost, many businesses allow employees to access their company email accounts remotely.
- Teamwork – Not every at-home employee works in solitude. Teamwork is essential for jobs like content and graphic design, where more than one person contributes to the final product. Programs that assist with task management allow each team member to share to-do lists, delegate tasks, share progress, and even create sublists.
- File sharing – As individuals complete a portion of a project, file sharing programs allow each person to drop their contribution into a centralized location for the next person to access.
- Meetings – People still need to discuss things in groups, so there are numerous online tools that facilitate meetings in cyberspace. Meeting face-to-face, voice only, and even group text chats are no problem.
The digital world is full of wonderful tools to bring us together even while we work far apart. Staying on top of the trends is crucial in today’s new world.