In 2000, about 48% of Americans did NOT use the Internet. Fast forward to 2016 and this percentage has dropped, not unexpectedly, to 13% who still prefer traditional media rather than digital ways. The rest of the population which taps into the Internet do so for these reasons:
More importantly, the content found on the Internet are guaranteed to deliver at least one of the following moments to users:
- Updated information and fresh ideas
- Relaxation and “Feel Good” moments
No All Content is Equal
With the tons of information and content found on the Internet, quality has become the primary in attracting users. Poorly crafted content will quickly get dismissed and relegated to being blocked either intentionally or mentally. Moreover, word will quickly pass to other users to avoid that particular site as having nothing significant to offer.
Content is needed to attract readers, viewers, business clients, prospects, relationships, subscribers, fans, fame, and fortune.
How Great Content Works
In a nutshell, the higher the quality of content writing done, the following are examples of what can potentially happen with great content:
- Infopreneur Peng Joob went from having a student loan debt of $53,000 and a $300 monthly wage to earning $10,000 from writing guides on different niches on gaming to investing
- Bloggers like Huffington Post, PC Mech, Coolest Gadgets, Car Advice, and Perez Hilton earn thousands monthly (anywhere from $16,000 to $2.3 million) mainly because they have a strong following which prompts advertisers to spend to be visible on their blog
- According to the YouTube Calculator, a YouTuber who can generate 900 views can earn $84 monthly, while a video with 30,000 views can earn over $2,100 monthly
- Great content can also make a person famous worldwide and this has been done countless times. A few examples include singer Justin Bieber, YouTuber PewDiePie, and writer Robert Lewis May who wrote a story in 1939 about a red-nosed reindeer which eventually became the Christmas song everyone loves
If content connects with its reader or viewer, then it is excellent content. This means the content is able to do several things at the same time.
- Defines the Brand or Product – People will stop shopping around if you can draw them in with your content and decide to do business with you or follow you
- Improve your ranking on search engines – High quality content is equal to value which search engines need to stay relevant and in demand
- Proves you care about your readers, viewers, and subscribers because you listen and pay attention to their feedback, reviews and respond accordingly
- Expand your network
Based on the predictions last year about content writing in 2017, the following trends are now evident. First, content must be worked on diligently with more attention to value, quality of content, and length. Compared to previous years, content is getting longer without subjecting its audience to repetitive content. Two, social media will continue to dominate in driving traffic to content. Finally, there is now more collaboration, personal branding, and networking with content because it improve efficiency, influence, and engagement.