As a small business owner, you may be asking yourself if your small business really needs a website? With Facebook and other social media platforms, having business pages, is the additional cost of a website even worth it? The short answer is, “yes”, and here’s why:
- Your social media profiles/pages belong to the social media company, not you. This means that social media companies have the right to run competitor ads around your posts, and on your page, which is not something that you want if your potential customer is on the fence about a purchase. It also means that your page can disappear, with no way of you getting it back, should the company decide that you have violated one of their terms. Now, you may think that this should not affect you because you wouldn’t violate their terms, but if someone reports you, even for fake reasons, it’s up to the platform to determine how to proceed and for some it’s just easier to shut pages down than it is to investigate complaints. Another fact for you to consider is that social media platforms lose popularity, over time, becoming obsolete and leaving your page with fewer and fewer active visitors.
- You miss 100% of the shots that you don’t take. If your potential buyers are searching online for your product or service, the first results that they see will not likely be your business page on a social media platform. Without a website listed in the search engines, your company doesn’t exist to those searching for what you have for sale. With even a very basic website you can provide your buyers with the information that they need to choose you, and the ability to do so. You also have the opportunity to be one of the first search engine listings that they see, when they are searching for your product or service.
- Time is valuable. Your product or service is great, but today’s buyer doesn’t want to go back and forth over private messages and they don’t want to play phone tag. Today’s buyer wants what they want, quickly, so that they can move on to their next task. Having a website for your business allows visitors to get to what they want without all of the extra stuff that they don’t have time for, anymore. Buyers spend less than 30 seconds deciding which search engine link to click on. They aren’t going to seek you out, specifically, in most cases, but they will absolutely click on your link when you come up for what they’re searching for.
- You’re in Control. When a business owner has their own website, they control the look, the feel and the branding. Having your own website allows you the freedom to do what you want to best represent your business. You can have limited time specials, regular blog posts, offer coupons, announce new products and services or run flash sales. Having a website is just like having another storefront, for online buyers. You have the opportunity to create a connection with your potential buyers by offering them your newsletter on your website, creating a captive audience for your promotions and company news, helping to build brand loyalty.
- Professionalism Builds Trust. Having a website, a professionally designed website, especially, shows that you are an established business, not a hobby or scam. Your own website representing your business online helps to legitimize your business to buyers who want to trust and do business with you. Having a website for your business shows that you take your business seriously and that you are around, should anything go wrong. Buyers really want that reassurance before they commit their hard-earned money to a purchase. For businesses that also have a brick and mortar location, a website helps to familiarize your new customers with your company and gives them an idea of what to expect when visiting your location.
Small businesses usually have smaller budgets, so saving money where you can makes sense. Choosing to not have your own website isn’t saving you the money that you may think that it is, and is likely costing you sales. Even if you’ve managed to have some success with your social media page, and from walk-ins, you have to wonder how much more successful your business would be with all of the buyer that you’re currently missing out on by not having a website? At Planned Growth, we understand the needs of small businesses, and have the experience and knowledge needed to help your small business grow. Give us a call today at (800) 625-GROW (4769) or click here to send us a quick message so we can discuss a plan that fits your needs and your budget.